Friday, November 23, 2012

Lessons Learned

What lessons have we learned from Sandy?  While we think, businesses, not families, have disaster plans in place we all can learn lessons in disasters.  Hurricane Sandy was more destructive to our neighbors than NEPA yet we too had damage: power outages, trees down and storm damages to buildings and contents.  A post disaster review helps to avoid future mishaps.
One of the most important consideration is “it can happen to us.”  Many people believe that the damage we see in New Orleans and Tampa cannot possibly happen to the northeast.  Our water temperatures are too cold for the hurricanes to pack a punch.  Unfortunately, we have learned that hurricanes and storm surges can be very destructive in the northeast. 
Be prepared.  How many of us have a disaster plan?  DGK does.   Personally, I do not.  My plan is go to work if I can; there is a generator at work.  At my house, we had roof damage to our out buildings.  I do not believe I would have been able to avoid that.  My husband and I do bring in our outdoor items and while we have shutters they are decorative not useful.  Seventy-five percent (75%) of us buy extra supplies but only thirty percent (30%) have a plan. 
Evacuate if asked.  I do not know if I would evacuate my home if I truly believed it would not be there when I returned.  While I do not have many sentimental objects, I do like my pillow and running clothes.  I guess deciding ahead of time what to take if asked to evacuate could be part of my plan.  I would also have to take my dog.  I could not leave her behind.  Knowing ahead of time by having a plan about evacuation would be another important aspect of disaster planning.
Flood & hurricane insurance and FEMA become part of a disaster plan.  Most people believe the government will help them.  While that is true, the average grant is about $3,500.  $3,500 will not be enough money to replace all that is lost in a disaster.  Over the years, many people stopped carrying insurance for hurricanes and floods when years passed without such storms. It is estimated that eighty four percent (84%) of families in flood prone zone areas do not carry flood insurance.  Residents in hurricane and flood areas that forgo insurance coverage may need to rethink going without flood or windstorm insurance.  Government aid and insurance can become part of pre-disaster plan. 
As we approach winter, the storm damages that can result from blizzards encourages us to reflect on the lessons we learned from Sandy.  Believing it can happen and preparedness for storms are important steps in preparing a disaster plan.  If you are looking for help with pre & post disaster planning please visit http://www.ready.gov.

info from Ginger Turner Wharton School of Business

No comments:

Post a Comment