Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Exercise Your Right to Vote

Over the last few weeks political rhetoric has magnified.  I avoided television, radio, telephone calls and mail.  Facebook was inundated with advertisements.  Some were entertaining, some were insulting and some were just short of harassment.
November 6, 2012 finally arrived and we are able to cast our vote.  My poll was empty when I arrived at 8:30 a.m.  When I was leaving a line was forming to enter the polling place.  I arrived at a great time, in and out in less than ten minutes.  I now can relax and watch the returns.
The first presidential election I was able to vote became a mockery for me.  I was attending college in California for the Ronald Reagan versus President Jimmy Carter election.  We are all aware that Ronald Reagan won the election, what you may not know is Jimmy Carter conceded the election before the polls were closed in California.  His announcement made my first presidential ballot null and void.  The election was anticlimactic. 
I have voted in every election since.  Some elections I have voted with more enthusiasm than others.  While it may sound corny, I firmly believe it is my duty as an aged appropriate US citizen to vote.  I have met people that protested by refusing to vote.  I am not sure how effective that is since a candidate is still elected.  I do not want to squander my one vote.
America has some problems.  I am not sure if those problems are unsolvable.  The problems may stem from the media or partisanship.  As citizens we can vote our opinion via our candidate.  At the writing of this the new president has not been announced.  Still, I am confident that our newly elected president will perform the job we have entrusted to best of his abilities.  God Speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment