Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Someone's in the Kitchen

Almost half (47%) of all home fires are kitchen fires.  Thirty-seven percent of burn injuries are from kitchen fires.  I know these statistics because I once set my sweatshirt on fire while I was cooking.  The material apparently was flame resistant because it did not burn instead the flame traveled up my arm towards my face. 
I like to wear big baggy sweatshirts around the house and while I am cooking. One afternoon while making ganache, I did not realize the flame was feathering out past the pot sitting on the burner. When I turned too close to the burner, I set my sleeve on fire.  While the flames flickered its way towards my face, I calmly proceeded to pat out the fire on my sleeve; I have no idea how I stayed calm.  I decided baggy clothes are not appropriate for cooking.  Actually, I threw the sweatshirt away; it smelled burnt. 
Since I love to cook, I rarely cause an actual fire in my kitchen.  I also have a redbone-lab mix dog who loves to eat.  Anytime my dog senses the possibility of burning food, she howls.  She is an excellent fire detector.  The day I set my sleeve on fire was a fluke.  It did set me on a path for stove fire safety.  I have a fire extinguisher under the sink but not everyone does.  

My fearless fire detector.

The following is a video how to extinguish a fire on the stove.  I hope you never have to use the information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment