Wednesday, January 18, 2012

High Flying Flag

Normally, people write flag stories during the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day or Veterans Day.  I think today is a good day for a flag story.
DGK Insurance flies two flags, the United States of America flag and the Employee Stock Ownership Plan flag.  We recently had to replace the US flag.  It became worn and torn after several years of flying proudly over our building.


It was a sad moment for me as the flag we retired was my father’s flag, not the one given to me at his funeral but the one he proudly displayed at his home.  I am the daughter of a Sergeant in the Marines and a Lieutenant in the Navy.  Respect and honor for the United States flag was not an option when I was a child it was a requirement.  I learned what I was taught as I did not want to get in trouble especially since both parents were officers in the military!
As a child, I had no real concept of what the flag meant to my and many other American families.  However, I learned how to raise a flag, salute a flag, lower the flag to half-staff, how to fold a flag, dispose of a flag and receive it at a funeral.  I was able to teach my fellow Girl Scouts how to handle a flag and when it was the fifth graders turn to raise the flag every morning, I became quite popular since I knew all the moves.  The flag was a task I learned and mastered. 
Through the years, I came to understand what my parents tried to teach me.  I realized their commitment and dedication to their country was symbolized in the flag.  The understanding develops at an early age to those that serve in our armed forces or who listen to their parents.  Sadly, it took me a little longer.
DGK’s retired flag now lays on my desk waiting to be given to the Veterans Assoc. for disposal.  It is folded to the proper standard that was shown to me by my parents.  I hope I have served them and our flag well.

If you would like to learn how to handle a flag please stop by our office, several of us are "experts". 
Semper Fi  & Fair Winds and Following Seas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment