Wednesday, January 25, 2012

May You Always Find Your Home

“Wasn’t that the definition of home? Not where you are from, but where you are wanted?”       Cutting for Stone by Abraham Varghese.
Making a house a home changes throughout your life.  From your first apartment to the place you settle into slippers, your ideals change.  The home maybe an apartment at first, getting progressively bigger as your needs for space changes or remain an apartment.  What we continue to seek remains constant with each home, it is not the physical space but the feeling of comfort, strength and happiness. 
My agreement with Abraham Varghese obtains its roots from my childhood.  Due to an illness, I did not always live with my mother.  In the houses where I stayed I did not feel welcomed or wanted.  It was during that time I realized exactly what felt like home to me.  I have strived for that feeling in my homes ever since.  

My first apartment had one big room.  I separated areas with the proverbial beaded curtains.  I gathered furniture from family cast offs and articles I “found” alongside the road waiting for garbage pickup.  Actually, I had close to 10 years of first homes consistently furnished that way.  I always had plenty of (inexpensive) food to feed friends and family.  Everyone was always welcomed at any time in my home.

The purchase of my first home was a group effort; I needed co-signors.  Luckily, my mother’s sentiment regarding your home coincided with mine: everyone is welcomed so everyone can help.  She was co-owner along with my aunt.  In the beginning, my furnishings were sparse and seen better days.  My house had a large porch, an eat-in kitchen and everyone was welcomed.  We had heavily attended “bring a dish” picnics.  The goal was to share my home with everyone that sought a welcoming space.

My adult homes have changed with my occupation, workplace and state.  I have owned homes in California, Virginia, and several towns in Pennsylvania.  My concept of home does not waiver.  If you want to come over please feel welcomed and make yourself at home. 
I am content when my home is full of people having lively discussions, playing music, games or puzzles scattered on tables, laughter, maybe a sporting event with adults screaming at the TV, plenty of food and beverages.  In the summer, we move outdoors to the deck with badminton, horseshoes, fishing, archery, basketball, barbecues, running through the water sprinklers and even a hammock to watch it all happen. 

I am also satisfied to sit on the porch glider in the morning with my dog and a cup of coffee knowing that I have made every effort to ensure people are comfortable in my home.  Home is where you are welcomed and wanted.  I have that in my home.  A wish from me to you - may you always find your home wherever you go.

Welcome to my home

No comments:

Post a Comment