Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New Year Resolutions

UGH!   It is that time of year when we examine our past year or even life and make plans to improve for the future.  REALLY!? 
How many people make resolutions only to fail to keep the promise in the same week?  Only 45% of people even make New Year resolutions because 98% of us fail to keep them.  If it involves life changes there is a science to changing human behavior from negative reinforcement to positive conditioning.  Proclaiming a resolution to change one’s behavior on New Year’s Eve when one may have a few alcoholic beverages to bolster confidence sounds plausible however through a hangover haze the next day it may be difficult to pursue.   
When I was growing up, at midnight on New Year’s we would sit around the table and announce our soon to be ill-fated resolutions.  Everyone had one from my younger cousin at 7 years of age to my grandmother.  There was always someone trying to lose weight, trying to exercise more, take the dog out without asking, ask for a promotion at work, just go to work, save money, pay bills on time and even do homework.  We were a funny mix at New Year’s Eve.  Actually when I think about it, we had to say a resolution.  Since all the resolutions always were broken, I wonder if any were sincere.
Years later every New Year’s day I would meet with a friend and we would review what we wanted to change for the upcoming year.  Those actions that we wanted to change were not exactly resolutions but similar.  Many of those plans came to fruition.  Being sincere about wanting to change, discussing it aloud with someone else and writing it in a systematic plan lead to long-term successful change.
This year my plans are bold and daring; it involves risk and bravery.  It may even hurt.
I plan to continue my half hour a day pill to health called exercise.
 I have many years of practice so that is really cheating for me but I need a guarantee success to feel good.

I plan to follow a budget and not waste my money on impulse purchases. 
That is going to be difficult and painful.  I would like to say I am a saver but money burns a hole in my pocket – it literally screams “SPEND ME, SPEND ME, SPEND ME!” until I spend it.  I just donated five pairs of khaki pants that still had the tags on them; I do not like khaki pants but that did not stop me from buying them because they were on sale.

I paint and I am going to place some of my items for sale. 
That is daring, risky and painful for me. I must be brave.  I do not want to be rejected or have someone make fun of my work.  My artwork is like pieces of me; they are my babies. 

Other resolutions are easier:  Not using the telephone in the car including texting, as it becomes law in March and I have been practicing so it becomes a habit; clean out my closets – does anyone really need eight pullover shirts in different shades of blue.

The easiest of all for me as I have been practicing since I was ten (it started at that kitchen table) is to become a better me.  Every day I receive a gift.  I have a chance with each day to try to be a better person:  to apologize, to say please and thank you, to offer a helping hand, to control my temper and what I say, to open a door, to listen, to pay for the coffee of the person behind me in line.  There are so many opportunities for me.  I have been practicing.  I say it aloud.  I write in down.  I tell people.   This is the resolution I want most to stick.  If it does not stick, I get to try again fresh the next day.  That is the best resolution of all. 

Happy New Year and good fortunate to you!

*We will return to our series on fire prevention next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment