Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas

I love Christmas and the holiday season.  My older daughter’s birthday is Christmas day.  My ice skates when I was ten years old probably are still my favorite Christmas present.   I love the food and cookies.  Candle light service at the Methodist church is a heartwarming experience.  Rockefeller center has amazing decorations and the ice skaters twirling around in a circle is truly a picture card memory.
Lately I have been hearing and reading about lay-away Santa in different states.  People are going to K-marts and Wal-Marts paying for people’s outstanding layaways.  One man paid for all layaways at one store that were under a specific dollar amount, Santa Claus.   Another person paid all the layaways remaining in the store, Santa Claus.  The recipients cried, were paying forward by purchasing presents for others while some were planning a Christmas dinner now. 
While watching the stories and even while writing, I am crying.  The generosity of strangers is inspiring.   I work with people with generous spirits.  They are not strangers to me they are my coworkers, Santas.
Every year DGK’s employees adopt a family from Friends of Interfaith in Tunkhannock.  It is not the company but each individual employee that purchases presents for a family we will never know or meet.  It does not matter if they know us it only matters that we were able to help a family that could not provide presents for their children.  The day before we deliver the presents to the pick-up location we elves wrap the presents in the conference room, Santa’s workshop. 
While I love Christmas for the traditions and presents, I love knowing that strangers not expecting anything in return are helping people who are less fortunate at this time.  One of the Santas said it best:
The smallest amount of money or the simplest act of kindness really goes a long way and could change somebody’s’ entire season and even their life."*
Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and Happy Kwanza to you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment