Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tis the Season to Shovel Snow

I love to shovel the snow.   I crave the muffled sound of the neighborhood as the snow is falling on the ground early in the morning, making paths in the fluffy white snow and the smell of the fresh crisp air.  I enjoy the watching the snow fill the paths I just created and the speed which it does. 
Truth is I love my shovel.
"Old School"
I use a straight handled plastic shovel.  It has no fancy tools on board to scrape ice, the handle does not bend to ease any back pain, it does not fold to fit in a car, it does not periscope to adjust to the user’s height.  It is a very "old school" shovel.  That is where the argument starts with my husband.  What is the best shovel for snow removal?
My husband loves his shovel.  
Ergonomic
My husband uses an ergonomically designed shovel.  The contoured handle enables a more comfortable stance to prevent back strain.  The special handle allows you to bend less.  The shovel is also lighter.  Of course, he recites the scientific studies dating, as early as 1898 examining the biomechanics of snow shoveling to validate his preference for the ergonomic shovel. 
With my trusty little plastic shovel, I shovel the driveway in small sections.  I push the snow using my legs for power.  I do not throw the snow over my shoulder or out in front of me nor do I use any twisting motion.  I take my time as I enjoy the solitude of a winter snowstorm, my neighbors must magically remove snow from their driveways, as I do not see them out when I am out shoveling.   I usually have my water flask in my pocket in case I become parched and since there are snow angels and snow turtles all over the lawn, I obviously take several breaks. 

Obviously, there are physical differences between my husband and me.  He is a foot taller than I am therfore he also weighs more than I do.  His height may require his need for the longer bent handled shovel where I am already really close to the ground so it is unnecessary for me.  His upper body strength can handle the weight of his shovel whereas mine is much lighter and works better for me even if he says his shovel is lighter.  So when he refers to my small shovel as a “Barbie” shovel I know it does the job and really isn’t that all that matters?
We do agree on one item, doctor’s orders.  If either is sick or injured and told to curtail exercise, we do.  There are many horror stories about people injuring their backs or having heart attacks while shoveling.  It is not the age of the person shoveling snow but the health; I have asthma and my husband has high blood pressure so we are cognizant of our health.  It does not stop us from shoveling snow; we are just wise about shoveling. 
One suggestion – get your shovels now.  Once the snow flies so do the shovels, right out of the store! 
Happy Safe Shoveling!
Snow Fall on DGK

No comments:

Post a Comment