Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Ladder Safety

I am short.  I try to convince people that I am tall but truthfully, I am short.  Between ladders and stepladders I should be an expert on ladder safety however, I am not.  Just this morning while decorating the office Christmas tree, I stood tiptoes on a chair leaning forward to reach the top of a 6-foot tree.  It was in the stand, which made it that much taller! 

I really needed the chair.
Since I was at work, I violated not only our safety rules but also common sense.  I know not to stand on a chair and not to stretch from that chair once I am standing on it.  At home, I admit I am even worse. I climb on countertops, ledges, and the back of the sofa and or the loveseat to reach the curtain rods.  My neighbors have seen me move the truck closer to a tree and put a ladder in the truck bed to hang the summer swings.  This is the part where we all learn about ladders and practice what we learn. 

How Do I Avoid Hazards?
  • Position portable ladders so the side rails extend at least 3 feet above the landing.
  • Secure side rails at the top to a rigid support and use a grab device when 3 foot extension is not possible.
  • Make sure that the weight on the ladder will not cause it to slip off its support.
  • Before each use, inspect ladders for cracked or broken parts such as rungs, steps, side rails, feet and locking components.
  • Do not apply more weight on the ladder than it is designed to support [For additional information, see Ladder Safety].
  • Use only ladders that comply with OSHA design
    standards [29 CFR 1926.1053(a)(1)].
The ladder also comes with recommendations for serviceability, a fancy word meaning for its intended use.  In our legal world, it just means that ladders should not be used inside a truck bed.  If you do use it inside a truck bed, you void the serviceability of the product.   In other words, you are accepting the dangers of the misuse of the product.  If you get hurt and want to sue, misuse is a legal defense; you did not use the product as it was intended and therefore you got hurt.
To avoid injury and voiding the warranty of serviceability, follow the ladder safety rules.  For a short person it is easier said than done.  A chair is usually handy, I can climb on the countertop to reach a shelf, and I can figure a way to “rig” something to reach the unreachable.  However, I am all about safety.  I guess it is time to practice what I preach and follow the rules.  Hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment