Tuesday, November 15, 2011

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth."

At six years of age, I trick- treated for UNICEF, asking not for candy but for money.  I was told I would be helping children less fortunate than me.  I remember going door to door, some people gave money some said no and closed the door in my face.  At six I was not rejected I just skipped to the next door.   And so it began, my life-long affair with volunteering.   

I enjoy volunteering.  There are so many opportunities in our community and beyond.  You can donate (volunteer) money, clothing, books and other items.  You can donate (volunteer) your time or expertise.  The organizations range from Habitat for Humanity to soup kitchens, from Ronald McDonald house to the Humane Society, and the list continues. 

Fortunately, DGK believes in volunteering as much as I do.  Each employee is given a community day to volunteer their time during the workweek when so many organizations are short handed.  My
co-workers are active in parent organizations, their house of worship, libraries, civic organizations, charities, fundraisers for scholarships and local communities.  One of the women heads a mission trip to Haiti.  Others are board members or officers of their organizations.  I know I missed someone’s group and I am sorry. 

My mother taught me to volunteer.  It started with UNICEF but it continued with cutting food at Christmas dinners for physically and mentally challenged people, helping the jeweler at the end of the block to care for his lawn; he was in a wheelchair, picking up trash in the park and the list continues.  I in turned taught my daughters to volunteer.  From packing food in bags for the Christmas food drive, collecting books for children in other countries, assisting in giving out food at the food pantry, every year before Christmas my children would go through their toys to donate to children that did not have such an abundance of toys, and their list continues.  I wanted to teach my children, at a young age, that if you do not have money to give you give your time or even some treasured items to someone who has less than you.  I hope they continue the giving legacy with their children. 

This is the time of year, when we notice that so many have so little.  Placing a food item in the
“Feed a Friend” barrel in the grocery store can help those with the holidays.  It is a little gift to someone else that you do not know with no expectation of a thank you.  Many areas look for volunteers around the holidays.  If you are new to volunteering, it may feel unusual to give.  Once you do, you get hooked!

If you are looking to get involved, the Red Cross has a program for our U.S. Armed Forces, veterans and their families.  The Holiday Mail for Heroes program is a joint effort with Pitney Bowes.  Below is the website that has all the details.  In the privacy and comfort of your home, you can make someone’s holiday special.  If that is not the volunteer experience you are looking for just give me a call, the list continues. 

Holiday Mail for Heroes

ps not sure why the format does not stay in place after the post is up but I am sorry if the spaces annoy you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment