Thursday, October 3, 2013

Feed a Fever, Starve a Cold

I have the sniffles, stuffy head, sore throat, chills and I am trying to develop a cough.  I. HAVE. A. COLD.

When I start to get a cold the first thing I do is have a cup of black tea with lemon and honey.  I like Lipton tea and I use local honey currently from Gingher’s in Tunkhannock.  The next thing I do is make homemade veggie soup that includes some crushed dried red pepper flakes for some heat to help my sinuses. 
I have tried Mucinex and pseudoephedrine unsuccessfully.  The medicine either keeps me awake or I sleep for 3 hours and then lie awake for the remainder of the night.  I have other tricks for colds that seem to be more successful. 



I use eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil in the water when I mop the floors.


I also put about 6 drops of eucalyptus oil on the faucet in the shower so it vaporizes in the hot steamy shower.  I rub Vicks only on my feet followed by wearing warm comfy socks.  I drink unsweetened cherry juice mixed with water in a ration of 1:3 for inflammation.  I also drink a mixture of Ginger Soother in hot water also a ration of 1:3 for an upset stomach, sore throat and nasal congestion.  Lastly I curtail my 7 days a week exercise program to only walking and stretching.  I stay away from the pool when I have chills and I try not to over exert so I do not sweat.  I figure if my body is working to maintain a proper body temperature it will be unable to fight the pesky rhinovirus?
 

The human rhinovirus is responsible for the common cold.  The entry for the rhinovirus is the upper respiratory system which is the perfect temperature for the virus at 89 degrees.  The virus begins replicating itself within 15 minutes of entering and attaching to the body.  The majority of people will develop symptoms in 24 to 48 hours. 



Treatments for the cold are still in the development stage.  We can only treat the uncomfortable symptoms which can be chills, sore throat, congestion, cough, loss of appetite and all other influenza symptoms except fever.  If you have a fever, that is more likely to be influenza and requires a visit to the doctor for Tamiflu a viable treatment for influenza.  Influenza can also lead to pneumonia, dangerous to many. 

For the common cold, bottom line... it takes time to recover from the virus.  In the words of my mother, “Three days coming, 3 days staying and 3 days going.” I’m only on my 5th day.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment