Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Knock, Knock, Anyone Home?


I had my home broken into when I lived on the highway outside of Tunkhannock.  My house was perfect for the pickings.  I had trees and shrubs that blocked the view of doors and windows.  I had teenage children that did not always lock doors.  I did not have curtains on all of my windows.  The outside lighting was minimal.  The doors and windows had very flimsy locks.  No wonder my home was broken into!

 home insurance burglary tips

On a good note I had very little to take.  The burglars ransacked the house looking for good stuff.  I was a single mother with 2 teenage daughters.  I bought clothes.  The only television was not new and it was before ipods, ipads and kindles.  Nothing was taken, just messy.

 

They got in through an old single-pane side glass and opened the lock on the door, which was hidden from the road by a big apple tree.  Then the intruders walked right in the house.  If they watched my house at any time, they would know my daughters went to school and I went to work.  We all returned home between 6:00pm and 8:00pm.  We were the proverbial perfect mark. 

 

I learned what not to do by that experience.  After we scrubbed every inch of the house, we changed our ways.  I trimmed all the bushes around the windows, I bought curtains, we locked our doors and first floor windows when we left and at night. We stopped leaving the garage doors open; no reason for anyone to go “shopping: in my garage.  I bought several motion-activated spotlights and installed them all around the house and garage; my house looked like a small airport. 

 

I practice more safety tips now that I live in the boonies and everyone can tell I am at work during the day.  When I am home, I am outside or the dog is outside.  Therefore, if my house is quiet during the day it means no one is home.  I practice techniques that I learned, curtains on windows, locked doors and windows, I keep the barns and shed doors closed if I am working outside, all out-buildings have locks and my house is still  lit like a small airport.  I have a small safety deposit box at the bank for important or expensive items; the box annual fee is $40.00.  I do not have an alarm, I have deadbolt locks and I do have a dog.  Dogs tend to scare thieves away, sometimes. 

 

I believe, if someone really wanted to break in my house, s/he will find a way to do it.  I take precautions it is the best I can do along with insurance for my belongings.  Like many people, I keep an inventory list of my things and update it when I finish with taxes.  There are companies that do inventories and video for you like Asset Docs (http://www.theassetdocs.com/).  If I do get broken into again at least I know the thieves had to work for their “take.”

No comments:

Post a Comment