Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Roof, The Roof, The Roof is on Fire!


No, my roof is not really on fire.  I am getting a new roof.  Let me explain the processes of getting a new roof. 

I like my roof the way it is: not costing and not leaking, yet.
 
My husband sees the roof as needing repairs;
My husband calculates the age & condition of the roof;
Ask fellow workers their experience with roofers;
Call two roofers;
Meet with both;
Obtain estimates;
Decide and
Pay.
 

That is the short non-whining wife version.  The long version is the decussion: about the cost, the type of roof: I want metal and he wants traditional, adding to the landfill and lastly DGK client vs non-client.  After a long discussion and obtaining estimates that were basically the same price, the deciding factor was landfill.  A metal roof, from First Choice Roofing, is installed directly over the existing roof eliminating the necessity of a dumpster & adding to the landfill.  Lastly, the time to install a metal roof is 2 to 3 days tops versus a week or more for a traditional.   
 

While I may see the need for a new roof (someday), I am not happy to report that I have not behaved as a mature responsible adult.  I whined that I did not want to spend “my” money on a new roof.  A roof is not a trip to Zion National Park or Alaska.  A roof is not a new kitchen with a Viking.  A roof is not a new upstairs bathroom.  A roof is not many things I would prefer to spend household money. 
 

I have stopped whining (somewhat).  I have accepted that we must have a new shiny forest green metal roof that will sound nostagically like the boarding house my aunt and uncle purchased in the Poconos.  The first visit to their house was my first trip to the country for this NYC girl.  I remember the ponds, the bears, the deer and the appetite from the fresh country air.  I also recall the evening rain on the metal roof.  A beloved sound that I have buried in the recesses of my memory, one that I will relive shortly.
The delivery of all the roofing material - 2,200 lbs of metal.
 
Stay tuned for further information in the saga of getting a new roof. 

No comments:

Post a Comment