Tuesday, April 9, 2013

How to Catch April Showers

April showers bring the flowers. So far,  this has not been a wet April.  This week is gardening week.  It is time to plan a garden and prepare for a possible dry season.  Garden placement is an important consideration for a new garden.  What do you do if your garden is already in its permanent home?


Hopefully you placed your garden near a water source or close to your house.  If not, you may have set up some type of irrigation, to that I say, “Great planning!”  There is still hope if your garden is not near a water source.
 
What water source can you have?  On May 4, 2013 Keystone College is holding a “Make a Water Barrel” workshop.  What better way to obtain water for your garden than the natural source of water.  The rain will not run your well dry and/or increase your electric bill.   If you have community water, using a rain barrel to water your garden will not increase your water bill and sometimes your sewer bill as well.  Rain water is also better for your plants than the icy cold water from your garden hose. 
 
I am attending the workshop.  I have my garden near a water source however I love the idea of a rain barrel.  My husband is less thrilled.  He is concerned about mosquitoes.  I will be honest, I did not even think about those West Niles pests.  Now, I do wonder what I will learn to avoid the stagnant water invitation for mosquitoes and still have this fabulous rain barrel to water my plants. 
 
The workshop will promote a range of solutions to storm water challenges, from simple rain barrels and rain gardens, to more complex best management practices for homes, schools, and businesses.  There is still time to register. http://www.kceei.keystone.edu/CoursesWorkshop/Workshops.htm
 Hope to see you there.  Maybe I will be more interested in a rain garden than a rain barrel.
 
The workshop is funded through the League of Women Voters of PA Citizen Education Fund’s Water Resource Education Network – WREN.

No comments:

Post a Comment