Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Customer Service - Impressive


My niece recently informed me that Wegmans supermarket had installed a peanut butter making machine in their organic food department. 


 

Bells went off! Alarms rang loudly in my ears! Fear struck my brain! I also became very discouraged and disappointed in the store!   I represent a very small percent of the population that is affect by air borne peanut butter.  A store that I thought took into consideration allergies just installed a death trap for me and ended my ability to shop in their store.

 

Armed with the information I emailed the store, respectfully requesting they remove the machine.  I also admitted that I knew the reply would be “fat chance.”  Since I am realistic I suggested they install a sign that announced “Great News! You can now have freshly made peanut butter in our Nature Department!” Those wanting the product could flock to their organic section and those that die from peanut butter can run in the opposite direction.

 

I expected a curt email saying thank you for your interest blah, blah, blah.  Much to my surprise, the Manager Andrew Berry called me.  He explained their situation about the peanut butter making machine, how it is used and why it is used.  He also explained the times the machine was in use and how I could still shop in the organic section when the machine is not in use and after it has been cleaned. 

 

I am impressed.  I know I impress easily so explaining their concern for their customers may not hold much weight coming from me.  Let me tell you my co-workers were impressed and they are not as easily impressed.  A friend of mine emailed the store on my behalf since she knows I love Wegmans organic section.  The very same manager emailed her back explaining their concerns for allergens and how they decided to input use of peanut butter machines.  This was not your standard we appreciate your interest email.  That is Impressive.

 

At the present time, Wegmans will have the peanut butter making grinders in their organic/natures Market Place.  The machines are in use from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m., when an employee is working in the area with the machine.  If you stop at customer service and ask if the machine is operational they will let you know.  The peanut butter grinders will also be working in the evenings during the holidays.  The manager said if I would like to call them, give them my list of foods, they will shop and have it ready for me to pick-up.  Like I said, that is impressive. 

 

My husband usually shops with me since I have encountered problems with peanut butter, mostly candy, in stores.  I can only imagine what he must think when I leave by myself, “Will someone open peanut butter?” “Will she somehow eat something with peanuts?” “Will she be saved in time?” “Does she have her epi-pen?” Poor guy, talk about for better or worse. 


While I am impressed with their customer service, had I another option I would shop elsewhere.  In my area I am limited to the availability of organic foods during the spring and winter months.  I plan to shop at Wegmans in the evening and hopefully there will be a sign welcoming their peanut grinders

No comments:

Post a Comment