Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Notary Services Available



We have two notaries in our office.  I am one of the notaries available should any of our clients need a notary.  We offer our services free of charge and we are here during working hours.  Often our clients or the bank will tell others that DGK has two notaries available.


Being a notary comes with legal requirements.  All notaries must carry a bond for Two Thousand dollars ($2,000.00).  When I notarize a document, I must either know the person or have a picture form of identification.  I have turned people I do not know away if they did not have their identification with them.  It is a crime for me to notarize something incorrectly.  Identification is the first requirement I check. 

The document is also very important.  I cannot notarize a copy of a birth certificate.  The only copy of a birth certificate that is valid is from the Division of Vital Records.  In fact, it is illegal in all fifty (50) states for a notary to certify a copy of a birth certificate.  I have been asked to certify a copy of a birth certificate for a person that lost the original certified copy and unfortunately, I had to decline.  I would also be unable to certify a death certificate or passport.  


If the document is an affidavit, the signee or signatory must understand the document and sign of their own free will, not be coerced into signing it.  I once notarized a document for three people; one of the parties was from another country.  The document was in English and I had asked several questions to ensure the person understood the document and the implications that went along with signing the document.   I, as notary, must feel confident that I am affixing my notary seal on a properly executed legal document and all parties are fully aware of the corresponding implications of the document.

The seal is the notary stamp in the United States and if going out of the country the stamp and the actual seal is used.   The date of my notary expiration must be legible and my signature must be clear.  The last item for a notary act is noting the registry of the transaction.  The notary must keep record of every notary transaction.  The notation must include whom appeared, how identity was established, what was signed, where it was signed, and monies charged if any.  


My notary expires in September.  I will begin the process for renewal three months before expiry.  I send a form to our representative for his/her endorsement that is already signed by two people I know that will vouch for my character.  I then obtain a bond or renew a bond.  I forward the renewal application with our state representative’s signature to the state for the approved notary renewal which is filed at the courthouse.  This process occurs every four years.  During one renewal, every notary was to complete a three-hour course of education before appointment as notary.  I did complete the course however, the state no longer demands the course completion for renewals.  

If you are interested in becoming a Notary Public, please see http://www.dos.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/become_a_notary/12614

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for helping people get the information they need. Great stuff as usual. Keep up the great work!!! Seo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one, I really love reading these kinds of blogs. Keep updating and write something on Mobile Notary NJ and other things also. I also write something amazing on auto detailing by copying your style

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great written content and great layout, especially for topics like Notary services in Florida. Your blog deserves all the positive feedback it has been getting.

    ReplyDelete