Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Tis The Season for Generator Ownership

April showers can bring downpours.  Downpours can bring electrical disruption.  I can live like “Little House on the Prairie.”  My husband however feels the need for a generator.  It is in my basement preparing for its first test run this weekend, right after it is installed. 

I have two options: pretend I don’t know how to use it and not turn it on if the electricity goes out when he is not home or pretend I could not reach the electrical box to switch the level to turn it to the generator.  The first option is not exactly believable as I am mechanical, thanks to my dad, and the second is more possible as I am short, thanks to my mom.  Yes, I realize the third option would be to tell the truth: if you are not home I am not turning it on as I am okay with flashlights and not opening the refrigerator. 

Owning a generator is work and responsibility.  The generator needs to be maintained on a regular basis with fuel quality checks and fluid maintenance. It also needs to be run on a regular basis to insure proper operation, which is an ongoing area of concern.  

One must follow safety rules of proper generator ownership:
 
* Always operate generators outside away from doors and windows.

* Never operate generator within an attached garage.

* Locate the generator so no exhaust fumes can enter into the house or structure.

* Check extension cords to ensure they are in good condition and are the proper wire 
   gage for the aplication.

* Install CO2 monitors in the structure if there is any question of migrating fumes into
   the building.

* Before refueling, shut off the generator and let it cool down.

* The fuel must be stored in an approved container away from the generator and
   outdoors.
 
Generators are only as reliable as the maintenance they are given. Poorly maintained generators are more likely to fail when needed most. Failures usually begin with starting, fuel delivery, cooling and lubrication. Poorly maintained units will appear to operate; however, they may not actually produce electricity. This is often caused from moisture in the generator windings. With comprehensive generator maintenance and testing program on scheduled bases, these failures can be minimized. The Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) maintenance schedules should be followed as listed in the operations and maintenance manual.

In addition, generators require exercise, just like humans. Exercise keeps generators operating efficiently by reducing oxidation, consuming old fuel and lubricating the internal parts. Generators should be operated on a monthly basis for a minimum of 30 minutes at 30% capacity and at least once a year at 100% capacity.

I understand how fortunate that my electrical power is usually restored within a day or so after an outage.  Also, DGK has a generator.  While we do not have a washer and dryer in the building (what a great idea!) we do have a kitchen, a TV and a shower.  Unless the Governor issues a state of emergency, I can come to work. 

Regardless of my “Little House on the Prairie” adventurous feelings, we have a generator; do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment