Friday, October 7, 2011

Some Can Winterize


Fortunately, the massive flooding did not affect my home.  I am grateful that my concerns are for winterizing my home and not where will I live.  FEMA trailers are arriving in our area for people to live in while they rebuild but only if the land where the trailer is going is not in a flood zone.  This has been a learning tool for so many and lessons that one wishes did not have to learn at the expense of so many. 
For those that have been spared the destruction we go on with our lives helping where we can, donating money and supplies, attending fundraisers, and volunteering at local distribution centers.   The task seems overwhelming for many.  My co-workers and I pray for God’s speed in repairs and rebuilding.
At my house, the projects are less daunting.  Winterizing with additional insulation is the home improvement project this time of year.  I have always wanted pipe insulation, you know the kind it looks similar to a pool noodle.  If I could be sure the noodle would not burn, I would use those; I love the hot pink, turquoise blue, neon yellow and green colors.  Grey/black is the color at all the home improvement stores so my basement will not look like a circus revue.  I am very excited about the pipe insulation.  It takes a very long time for the water to get hot in the winter. 
The scary part of the whole project is the attic.  I am not fond of my attic and hope my husband volunteers to go up there.  My house has an entrance in the ceiling that you have to crawl headfirst to go in the attic.  My old house had stairs and it was a huge room, which made it not as scary.  Fear aside I will go in the attic, if I have to, and measure the insulation.  If there are more than 12 inches of insulation no need to add more.   The recommended amount of insulation in the attic is 10 to 14 inches so I am going with 12 inches and the correct R Value for NEPA, like R-49.  Since I plan to add, I will also ensure it does not have a barrier; I would not want to trap moisture in my attic. 
That is my plan for the weekend.  It is a couple to do list.  My husband would love to watch college football on Saturday and pro-football on Sunday.  I would love to paint and go for a long run.  When the cost of home heating is so dear, winterizing is mandatory and takes precedence over our wants.  
Now to price compare! 

No comments:

Post a Comment