Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Webinars vs Seminars

I have taken my share of webinars and attended many seminars.  However, I have not decided which I like better.  What is your opinion: webinar or seminar?

There are good points about each.  If I am attending a webinar there is no travel, only an hour or two from my work, lower cost and less extraneous chatter.  Ironically, the positives for a webinar are also the negatives for a webinar: there is no travel, only an hour or two from my work and less extraneous chatter.  I love to travel, occasionally I love being out of the office, I love meeting new people and all the small talk, all positive aspects of seminars.

This afternoon I attended a webinar that was very interesting, the subject matter moved at the correct pace and I learned a thing or two, the basis for a good webinar.  I also attended a seminar this month that was very interesting to hear what my peers are doing as an ESOP, the subject matter moved at the correct pace and I learned a thing or two.  How do you decide?

Over the years, I have learned the names of the presenters and if I like their style of presentations.  That is objective however, it provides a basis to decide.  What happens when the subject matter is so compelling that you will listen to a presenter that you are not fond of their style?  In that instance, I say seminar and here is why:
 
  • Meeting your peers adds their knowledge to the seminar
  • The give and take of the audience breathes life into the subject
  • Lastly, as humans we are still social beings and enjoy the company of others.

During the next month, I have six webinars and three seminars scheduled.  I will have plenty of information to decide: is it seminar or webinar? 

No comments:

Post a Comment