Thursday, October 20, 2011

13.1

On October 16, 2011, the Hershey Half Marathon was held in Hershey PA.  Three runners from our office with a family member and two friends totaling six participants headed to Hershey.  Almost six thousands runners and walkers filled the streets surrounding Hershey Park to raise money for Children’s Miracle Network. 
The air was chilly and damp.  The wind that gusted thirty mph the day before had slowed to a mere ten mph.  The trail taped off secured the road for the walkers and runners.  The hills and there were plenty rolled throughout the course.  Running the perimeter of Hersheypark, Chocolate World and then through the park along with neighboring communities kept the event exciting.  There were so many cheering people along the route.
Mile nine‘s Chocolate Aid Station was unique.  Volunteers handed miniature chocolate bars to the participants to “sugar-up” for the last four miles.  Did I mention hills?  Just when you thought there were no more hills in Hershey, there was one more at mile twelve.  The final mile was around the parking lot and into the stadium.  Once over the finish line, you received a sliver blanket to stay warm, Re-Gen sport drink, re-usable lunch bag with an amazing chocolate chip oatmeal cookie from Hershey Lodge, and a big Kiss finisher’s medal. 

This is my second half marathon.  I make myself anxious to the point of being ill prior to the race.  I am working on staying calm.  My friends are calm before the race and utilize their energy to run.  I am working on that.  Once running I enjoyed the sunny day with people cheering and bands playing music; it was a wonderful experience.  My friends and I will run this race again.   
If you ask why I run I do not always have the same answer.  Most times, it is to stay healthy and to relieve stress.  When I do not run, I want to bite my husband’s head off and I am just grumpy.  Running gives me a better attitude that I think keeps me healthy.  Sometimes I run so I can eat a slice of cake or fit into a pair of jeans.  On beautiful days, it is to experience NEPA at its finest.  Sometimes, I need to run away from myself.
The real question is why I enter races since I will NEVER win a medal.  My friends and daughter win races I do not and their times per mile I am in awe.   I am confident that my time will not earn a medal.  So why do it?  Entering in a race keeps me motivated; I want to finish what I started.  In addition, the running community cheering any run accomplishment is a warm friendly feeling. 
I will run in Berwick Thanksgiving Day.  They are expecting about two thousands participants.  I will not win the race and I will not win my age group but I will finish hopefully.  That is usually my goal.  As a runner, you are usually working on some goal.  I have a few others:  I do not want to finish last and I usually have a time per mile between ten and eleven minutes.  I have always made two out of my three goals.  The time goal is difficult for me.  I am working on that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment