Friday, June 8, 2012

Move Forward Towards Your Dreams

When I went to college, I packed my car and moved to California.  GO WEST! I moved from one coast to the opposite coast.  I did not stay in a dorm on campus of the college nor did I have any intentions of moving back east when I graduated.  I became a West Coast girl.

Moving is the same for an 18 year old entering college as it is for a 34 year old relocating to another state.   Moving involves many legal requirements.  I had 30 days to change my driver’s license to CA, register, license and insure my car in my new resident state.  I also had to obtain renter’s insurance for my apartment.  Lastly, I registered to vote.  I was not your average graduating high school senior.

Had I been your typical college freshman living in a campus dorm without a car, my parents would have called DGK, spoke with their customer service agent, and I would be rated as a student away at school over 100 miles.  When allowed to keep the car on campus, another phone call to DGK to change where the car would be “garaged” or kept.  Of course, once I moved into an apartment off campus, as many college students do, I would need my own renter’s insurance.  Insurance coverages change as the student’s independence change. 

It is an exciting time for a graduate and can be bittersweet for parents.  As parents, we plan for college expenses by saving for the future.  The additional details are forgotten sometimes.  A quick call to DGK customer service agent can help eliminate any future insurance surprises for your college student and you. 

To be prepared is half the victory. – Miguel De Cervantes 1547-1616

No comments:

Post a Comment