Friday, June 22, 2012

Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing – Thoreau

Summertime is paddle time in my house.  I have lived by many waterways and now I am an official boat owner.  It is a kayak, which is a boat, a non-motorized boat but still classified as a boat.  I launch my kayak in public boat access areas.  I kayak on the waterways in state parks, local creeks and State Commission Land of local lakes. 
Non-motorized boats such as kayaks and canoes that access public boat access areas must have a launch permit.  I have purchased my launch permit from the Wyoming County Courthouse.  If I am too late, as those permits sell out fast, I go to one of the authorized (by the Fish and Boat Commission of PA) dealers.  I have said previously that I like to be frugal with my money.  If I go to the authorized dealer there is an extra fee, I paid an additional $20.00 once.  There is now a new option that has made a procrastinator such as me very happy.  The Outdoor Shop is online access to many Fish and Game permits and licenses.


I dug out my credit card, obtained all the kayaks' information Make, Model, Serial Number and year  the kayaks were made.    Next, I fired up the computer and input all the information.  I printed a temporary launch permit and I was in business – kayak paddling on the lake for the weekend. 


Just a little sidebar:  if you own a private dock on a lake with a Fish & Game Public Access Area and do not use the Public Assess Area of the State Fish & Game Commission, you do not need a launch permit.  If you and your non-motorized boat use the Public Launching area, you will get a fine if you do not have a launch permit.  If you plan to use your kayak or canoe anywhere other than your private dock, obtain a launch permit and save yourself a fine from a representative of the Fish & Game Commission.  A two year Launch Permit will cost $18.00 along with a small processing fee (not $20.00).

No comments:

Post a Comment