Tuesday, May 21, 2013

“Every election is determined by the people who show up.” Larry J. Sabato

The May non-presidential primary is not well attended.  I even started to drive to work and had to turn around to go to the polling place.  I was number 8.  I know that is a low number even in my small township/voting district.

Do you remember your first voting experience?  My first vote was the May presidential primary when I turned eighteen.  I was so excited, in college, discussing politics brought the election to life.  The discussions were better than anything I watched on TV, though I was riveted to the Watergate proceedings.  My candidate did not win.
I have voted in many elections since, missing only one.  I was so worried that my voter’s registration card would lapse since I did not vote in a primary.  I am very pleased that so many spear headed the movement to grant 18 year olds the right to vote.  I could not imagine attending college, working or fighting for your country without a say in the governmental process. For that reason alone, I try to always cast my vote.

How do you feel about write in votes? I did write in my daughters’ names in one presidential election.  My candidate already conceded the election before I had a chance to vote; my vote did not count for that presidential election.  I wrote in a candidate’s name in today’s election.  In my small area it can make a difference.  I hope the write in vote option remains.
If you get a chance, vote.  It is also a beautiful day to say hello to your neighbors.  You won’t have to wait in line.  In my district you can even get a piece of candy.  Vote, it does our country good.

No comments:

Post a Comment