Friday, May 4, 2012

When the Moon Hits the Sky Like A Big Pizza Pie

I am all geared up for Cinco de Mayo.  I have nachos, sangria, beans and rice (SPICE) on the brain.  Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican Army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of the Puebla during the French Mexican War.  Mexico does not celebrate the day in the same manner as the United States.  We go all out for our southern neighbors. 


This year the celebration is even more exciting as the supermoon makes an appearance on Saturday at 11:35 p.m. EDT.  I am a stargazer.  While the moon is not a star, it is in our solar system (until someone decides differently).  What makes the moon on Saturday a supermoon?  It will be a full moon and be the closest to earth that it will come all year. 

The solar system fascinates me.  It may have started with my father; he worked for N.A.S.A.  Maybe it was my mother; she would stay awake to all hours if she heard Tom Clark say a star or planet would be visible in the PA sky.  It could be the acronym: My Very Excellent Mother Just Made Us Nine Pizzas.  I did grow up thinking Pluto was a planet.   It could be camping and learning to identify stars.  It is possible that I have love the outer space from TV’s “Lost in Space”. 



My goal to witness all possible solar events includes the supermoon.  I also stay alert for any sun flare and the corresponding aurora borealis.  I know I will have to travel to see the aurora borealis in person however, I can see some spectacular displays from the deck in my own back yard.  I have been spying the Jupiter/Venus show in the sky all winter.   Mars, the little red planet has been on display as well. 

Star identification and tools to assist in locating the planets and stars are more important with all the satellites in our skies.  As in the lyrics from Nickleback song “confusing stars with satellites” is more common.  Educational star identification and star gazing apps for iphone and droids are excellent tools.  I like PlanetFinder and SkyView both are free on my iphone. 



The moon is still important in our solar system, I will make every effort humanly possible to be outside on my deck with a glass of sangria on Saturday night at 11:35 p.m. EDT.  I hope you enjoy May 5, 2012 as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment