Friday, March 2, 2012

There is no one alive who is youer than you. Dr. Seuss

Don’t cry because it’s over.  Smile because it happened.  Today is not only Dr. Seuss’ birthday it is also Read Across America Day in his honor.  Is there a better way to honor such an inspirational man?  How many of us have Dr. Seuss books in our homes?  Have you read a Dr. Seuss book to a beloved child?

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish.  I have been in awe of Dr Seuss for as long as I can remember.  His books introduced me to a world of color and absurd characters.  Showed me to frolic and have fun in not just the destination but the journey as well.  The action packed pages meant something was always happening so pay attention or you will miss it.

I loved the dear sweet faces of Horton the infamous faithful elephant.  In Horton Hears a Who and Horton Hatches an Egg we learn to trust our inner voice.  A message everyone wants to understand.  Horton is faithful one hundred percent!  Horton believes in the impossible.  Where else can an elephant sit upon an egg atop a spindly tree and hatch a flying elephant?  With Horton, we are introduced to the Village of Who where a voice, no matter how small, counts. 
   
I can quote passages from Dr. Seuss’s books that have a particular meaning to me.  Sharing the whacky Cat in the Hat to my children on a rainy afternoon is one of my fondest memories.   There is a moral or two in each book.  Much like Shakespeare lives on in the park Dr. Seuss lives on with Reading Across America.  Happy reading Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Dr. Seuss books are for sale everywhere & avaliable at libraries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment